CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST EDBURGA

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1046404

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST EDBURGA, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST EDBURGA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046404 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 00:53:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST EDBURGA, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Stratton Audley

National Grid Reference: SP 60858 26036

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATTON AUDLEY CHURCH LANE SP6026 (West side) 21/119 Church of St. Mary and St. 07/12/66 Edburga GV I

Church. C14 and C15. Restoration of 1861 by Roger Smith. Coursed limestone rubble. Chancel has a slate roof with stone coped gable, the other roofs not visible. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, north porch. 4-window range on north. Chancel has a 3-light Perpendicular east window. 2-light Perpendicular windows to north and south have square heads, hood moulds and label stops. Diagonal buttresses. Stone parapet. North aisle has a 3-light east window with intersecting tracery; two 4-light Perpendicular windows, one restored and a lancet to right of porch. Crenellated stone parapet with gargoyles. Perpendicular stone porch has a wide moulded and chamfered archway. Bench seats. Decorated stone 4-centred arched north door has moulded and chamfered jambs. Crenellated parapet with finials. Diagonal buttresses with gargoyles. West tower of 4 stages. Pointed arched west doorway. 2-light Perpendicular window to first and bell-stages, the latter with louvres. Elsewhere lancets. Angle buttresses. Crenellated parapet with finials. South aisle has 2 entrances one with a pointed arched head, the other to right with a reused C12 doorway. Plank doors. 2-light Decorated windows to left. Two 4-light Perpendicular windows to right. Stone parapet with gargoyles. Nave has three, 2-light Perpendicular clerestory windows. C15 chancel roof has cusped struts and open tracery between the beams and braces. Nave and aisles have restored C19 roof incorporating earlier timbers. 3 bay north and south arcades. The north arcade has clustered Early English piers. The south arcade appears similar but recut rather than rebuilt in the C14. Jacobean pulpit. Medieval octagonal font. Medieval parish chest. South chapel has a Baroque monument to Sir John Burlase, d.1688. Elaborate alabaster memorial on grand scale (BOE). A reclining figure in periwig and Roman armour flanked by twisted columns and mourning women. Above and below are cherubs, drapery, swags, garlands and a cartouche on a broken segmental pediment. Alabaster cartouche memorial to Baldwin Borlase, d.1678. Strapwork surround with drapery and cherubs. Stained glass: in the east window of the north aisle, fragments of C14 glass including the arms of Ficuves of Segrave and a frontal head of Christ. Grotesque lions head of C15 in south chancel windows. Early C14 shield of Clare and family and foliage fragments in west window of south aisle. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp794-5; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI, pp332-3)

Listing NGR: SP6085626034

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 243712

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 1974
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 332-3

End of official listing