This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CROSS HILL HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CROSS HILL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1046411

Location

CROSS HILL HOUSE, CROSS HILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Adderbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 05-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 243738

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP4635 ADDERBURY CROSS HILL R0AD (North side) Adderbury West 6/16 Cross Hill House 08/12/55 (Formerly listed as Cross Hill House, Bloxham Road)

GV II* Large house. Mid C18, probably incorporating earlier features; altered early C19. Marlstone ashlar with limestone dressings. Welsh-slate roofs with ashlar gable stacks. Double-depth plan. Mid-Georgian style. 3 storeys. Symmetrical 7-window front, with full-height clasping pilasters linked by storeybands and a parapet with moulded cornice, has 12-pane sashes with projecting keyblocks, and a central doorway with flanking pilasters supporting a scrolled pediment enclosing a cartouche. The front is considerably wider than the house and breaks back to double-gabled end walls, the right side with an early-C19 stone Tuscan porch. All gables have triple-shafted stacks with moulded plinths and caps. Rear has stone-mullioned cellar windows with labels. Interior not inspected but noted as having early moulded doorframes in the cellar, mid-C18 panelling in a first-floor room, and other fittings of c.1800, (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p419; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, p12; Country Life: Vol 105, 1949, p86)

Listing NGR: SP4663235522

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 419
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 12
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 105, (1949), 86

National Grid Reference: SP 46632 35522

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046411 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2018 at 02:23:01.

End of official listing