CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1046423
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046423.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:09:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton Purcell with Shelswell
National Grid Reference:
SP 62510 30813

Details

NEWTON PURCELL WITH SHELSWELL CHURCH LANE SP63SW (East side) Newton Purcell 5/66 Church of St. Michael 07/12/66

GV II

Church. C12 origins. Repaired in 1813, restoration of 1875-6 by C.N. Beazley amounting to a rebuilding leaving only the foundations of the original walls. C12 doorway moved from the north to the south entrance. C19 bell-gables vestry and porch. Stucco with limestone quoins. C20-tile roof. Combined nave and chancel. 3-window range. South doorway has C12 zig-zag decoration and a dove and serpents in the tympanum. Late C19, 2- and 3-light lancet windows throughout and a C14 ogee-headed window in south wall of chancel. Interior, C13 piscina and aumbry. C19 fixtures and fittings and a C17 parish chest. C13 incised slab commemorating a heart burial. Marble wall memorials to Gilbert Harrison, merchant d.1790 and to other members of the Harrison family of Shelswell Park. Nave north window has early C19 stained glass in the manner of Eginton. Other C18 wall memorials to Edward and Samuel Trotman. On a stone plinth to left of porch, two C17 limestone effigies from Shelswell Church, which was demolished in 1810. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p717 and p753; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI, pp266-7)

Listing NGR: SP6251030813

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
243659
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 717, 753
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 266-267

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].