CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1046439

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046439 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 09:51:12.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Cottisford

National Grid Reference: SP 58729 31063

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COTTISFORO MAIN STREET SP5831 (North side) 15/5 Church of St. Mary 07/12/66

GV II*

Church. C13 with C14 and later alterations. 1861 restoration by Charles Buckeridqe including insertion of tracery in the square headed windows. Coursed limestone rubble and squared coursed limestone. Steeply pitched old-tile roof. Stone coped gables. Chancel, nave and south porch. 4-window range. Chancel has a 3-light intersecting windowon east. Priest's entrance on south has a pointed arched doorway and plank door. Entrance is flanked by C19 lancets. Nave has a 2-light C15 window to right of porch and a restored Pernendicular window to left of porch. Hood moulds and label stops. West gable has a single-light cusped lancet with hood mould and label stop and a louvred lancet to bell-cote above. Gabled stone south porch has an old-tile roof and stone coped gables with cross. Pointed arched entrance with chamfered jambs. South door has 2 orders of moulding and a pointed arched hood mould with headstops. 3 mass dials to left wall of porch. Interior C19 roofs. Chancel has an arched tomb recess and C19 piscina. C19 pews and font. ?C17 pulpit. Brass eagle lectern. C19 reading desk. C18 organ, Stone wall memorials to James Edward Rousby d.1848 and Edward Rousby d.1875 of Cottisford House. Marble wall memorial with urn and cartouche to Richard Eyre d.l76l and Martha Eyre d.1772. Royal arns of George III over chancel arch. Brass of c.1500 to John Samewell and his wife and thirteen children, Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p558; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI, ppl14-5).

Listing NGR: SP5872931063

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 243597

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 558
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 114-115

End of official listing