47, MARKET SQUARE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1046458

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1970

Statutory Address: 47, MARKET SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 47, MARKET SQUARE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046458 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 05:24:40.

Location

Statutory Address: 47, MARKET SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Bicester

National Grid Reference: SP 58558 22364

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BICESTER MARKET SQUARE SP5822S 3/65 No.47 30/03/70 GV II

Shown as No.48 on Ordnance Survey map. Substantial town house, now offices, 1698 on datestone, altered C19 and C20. Rendered timber framing with stucco dressings; concrete plain-tile and lead roofs with brick stacks. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys plus attics. Symmetrical 5-window front, with storeybands and rusticated stucco quoins, has 12-pane sashes to the upper windows, and has a central projecting 4-storey tower with similar windows at first and second floors, but with 3 keyed oval windows to the top stage formed in moulded limestone-rectangular frames, the front oval blind and inscribed "B/IM/1698". The turret has a moulded wooden cornice and an ogee tiled roof topped by a ball finial and wrought-iron weathervane. The hipped roof of the main range has a central lead flat and a wooden modillion cornice which returns on both sides. Ground floor has a central doorway with a moulded segmental-arched eared stucco architrave, flanked by small-pane shop windows built out below a deep moulded cornice (probably all C20). Left side has 2 sashes per floor above a C19 ground-floor extension with a large small-pane window. Right side has some narrower sashes and some altered windows. Rear has 3 truncated stacks, each of 3 linked shafts. Interior: upper floors of tower retain a dog-leg stair with heavy moulded handrail and closed string, barleytwist-on-vase balusters, and some turned pendants. With Nos.49 and 50 (q.v.), forms a prominent group on an island site. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, p.18; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.455).



Listing NGR: SP5855622377

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 243540

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 455
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 18

End of official listing