This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BICESTER SNOOKER CLUB

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BICESTER SNOOKER CLUB

List entry Number: 1046478

Location

BICESTER SNOOKER CLUB, CHAPEL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bicester

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Mar-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Jan-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 243488

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BICESTER CHAPEL STREET SP5822S (East side) 3/13 Bicester Snooker Club 20/03/70 (Formerly listed as Congregational Church, and Registrar's Office, 0xfordshire County Council) GV II

Congregational chapel, now club. 1728, altered and extended c.1840 and 1873; converted late C20. Limestone rubble and chequer brick with some ashlar dressings; Welsh-slate roofs. Central block with added lower wings flanking a forecourt. 5-window brick front of main range, with blue headers, rises from a rubble plinth and has tall round-arched windows with C19 architraves and wooden tracery; left bay has been altered to form a rose window above an added pedimented porch, with a round-arched doorway surrounded by rusticated stone blocks. Hipped roof has boxed eaves which break in the centre below a small triangular pediment; only the pediment retains the deep plaster cove. Low wings have yellow headers, and the arched windows in their front gable walls have wooden "Gothic" tracery; right wing has a gable parapet; left wing returns beside main block with sash windows. Sides and rear of main block are in rubble and there are further arched and rose windows. Interior: upper room retains boarded ceiling of chapeI with a deep plaster cove. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, p.18; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.454).



Listing NGR: SP5848722287

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 454
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 18

National Grid Reference: SP 58487 22287

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046478 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2018 at 08:27:34.

End of official listing