This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GATEPIERS, GATES AND ATTACHED WALLED GARDEN TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATEPIERS, GATES AND ATTACHED WALLED GARDEN TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1046524

Location

GATEPIERS, GATES AND ATTACHED WALLED GARDEN TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, MERTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ambrosden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 243390

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP61NW AMBROSDEN MERTON ROAD (North side)

11/5 Gatepiers, gates and attached walled garden to E of Church of St. Mary

GV II

Gatepiers and walled garden. Piers c.1690; walls probably contemporary or early C18. Limestone ashlar; coursed squared rubble and brick. Ashlar piers have moulded bases and caps, hanging strips with scrolled tops, and vase finials carved with gadrooning and acanthus; C20 gates. Walled garden, roughly square in plan, has rubble walls 2-3 metres high with flat copings, except on the west, bordering the churchyard, where the coping is triangular with an apex roll; blocked doorways to south and east have brick segmental arches; the top half of the inner face is lined with brick. The walls form a complete circuit except for approximately 10 metres of the south wall adjoining the gates, which have been lowered. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol. V, p.28).

Listing NGR: SP6032519428

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 28

National Grid Reference: SP 60325 19428

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046524 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 07:14:21.

End of official listing