WEST END FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1046549

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1951

Statutory Address: WEST END FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST END FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046549 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 00:32:21.

Location

Statutory Address: WEST END FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Merton

National Grid Reference: SP 57536 17824

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MERTON SP5717 10/106 West End Farmhouse 26/11/51 - II Farmhouse. c.1700, extended late C18/early C19. Limestone ashlar and coursed rubble with some wooden lintels; old plain-tile roof with rebuilt brick stacks. 3-unit plan with end outshut, extended to L plan. 2 storeys plus attic. Symmetrical 5-window ashlar front, with rusticated quoins, plinth and storey band, breaks forward in the middle 3 bays, below a tall parapetted gable containing an oculus; the projecting kneelers return as a stone cornice over the wide flanking bays. Central doorway, with panelled door, has a wide plain architrave with double-stepped keyblock below a flat canopy on shaped brackets. The window above is blind. All windows are of 2 lights and have ovolo-moulded surrounds, retaining central mullions at first floor. End gables contain similar attic windows. Rubble outshut to right is roughly contemporary. Rear has a large stone lateral stack with many offsets, and has stop-chamfered lintels. Rear wing, returning on right has been shortened. Interior: winder stair at first floor; some plank doors and a wooden latch; butt-purlin roof with heavy rafters. Most roof timbers and some window mouldings show signs of being re-used materials. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.222; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.701).

Listing NGR: SP5753617824

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 243348

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 701
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 222

End of official listing