This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST GILES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1046559

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wendlebury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 243379

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WENDLEBURY CHURCH LANE SP5lNE (North side) 3/138 Church of St. Giles 07/12/66 - II Church. C13, largely rebuilt 1762; altered and restored 1902 by J.O. Scott. Coursed squared limestone rubble and random rubble with ashlar dressings; plain-tile roof. Nave, chancel, north transept and south-west porch. C18 chancel has shallow clasping buttresses rising from a plinth; east and south windows have Y-tracery. Nave has 2 similar windows to south and a larger window of 1902 in place of the former south transept. Most windows have medieval moulded jambs with later heads and tracery. C20 porch shelters a C15 doorway with carved spandrels. North wall has 3 arched blind windows. West wall has a blocked archway formerly leading to a tower. North transept, in random rubble, has pairs of angle buttresses and a 2-light late Cl3 east window with plate tracery; it is mostly C13 but has 3 late medieval single-light windows in its gable wall. Interior: roofs of 1902; C13 arched tomb recess in transept; C18 communion rail with turned balusters; C17 ledgers and C18 wall tablets; medieval font. (V.C.H,: 0xfordshire, Vol.VI, pp.344-5; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.832).

Listing NGR: SP5585219702

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 832
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 344-5

National Grid Reference: SP 55852 19702

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046559 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2018 at 11:47:44.

End of official listing