Canal House

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1046618

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Jun-1972

Statutory Address: Canal House, Bulwark's Lane, St Peter's College, Oxford, OX1 1LU

Map

Ordnance survey map of Canal House
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046618 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 14:19:06.

Location

Statutory Address: Canal House, Bulwark's Lane, St Peter's College, Oxford, OX1 1LU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 51090 06222

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/04/2018

SP 5106 SW 8/431

ST PETER'S COLLEGE Bulwark's Lane Canal House

(Formerly listed as Master Lodge, previously listed as Oxford Canal Office)

12.1.54.

II* Now used by St Peter's College (1949). Built 1827-29, Richard Tawney being architect. The south west and north west sides consist of three-storeyed Headington ashlar with a rusticated ground floor, Doric pilasters and moulded cornice above which is the top storey. Welsh slate hipped roof. Five sash windows, on south west side, in plain stone reveals. On the north west is a tetrastyle Doric portico with a pediment. Above the latter is a relief, sculptured in Coade stone, of Britannia holding a shield of the arms of the University impaling the City; in the background are the church of St Mary the Virgin and the Radcliffe Camera; in the foreground, in front of the latter, is a barge on a canal (or at a wharf).

Listing NGR: SP5109006222

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 245149

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing