Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of ST EDMUND HALL, LIBRARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046644 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 02:22:42.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Oxford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 51857 06365


ST EDMUND HALL 1. 1485 Library (Formerly listed as the Church of St Peter-in-the-East) SP 5106 SE 9/387 12.1.54. I 2. Crypt, chancel and nave, circa 1140-50. North chapel added and chancel arch probably widened, circa 1230-40. Mid C13 North aisle and North arcade; the former rebuilt circa mid C14. Early C14, North-West tower added and nave extended to West. Chancel and nave walls heightened, possibly in 1481. Late Cl5 South porch. Early Cl6 vestry and chapel to West of Northchapel. Church restored by Edward Blore in 1835. Stained glass by Willement, 1839. In C19 the vaulting ribs of West part of chancel were carved. Other restoration, circa 1875. Chancel refitted by Sir T G Jackson, 1882. Exterior of Chancel restored in 1906-7 by A J Rowley of Oxford and the crypt in 1931-2. Fittings include notable C15 stained glass. The Church was deconsecrated in 1967 to become the Library of St Edmund Hall. A complete restoration with a modern interior and some plain glass followed in 1970/1. The West windows was renewed and the West door blocked. Some of the fittings are retained, others are in store. (RCHM 38).

Listing NGR: SP5185906364


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jan 2007
Reference: IOE01/15813/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].