This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CAMPION HALL (INCLUDING CHAPEL) MICKLEN HALL (INCLUDING CHAPEL)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CAMPION HALL (INCLUDING CHAPEL) MICKLEN HALL (INCLUDING CHAPEL)

List entry Number: 1046738

Location

CAMPION HALL (INCLUDING CHAPEL), BREWER STREET
MICKLEN HALL (INCLUDING CHAPEL), BREWER STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Feb-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 244871

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 5105 NW OXFORD BREWER STREET

612/12/586 Campion Hall (including chapel) 12.01.1954 II*

Also known as: Micklen Hall (including chapel), BREWER STREET Private Hall. Late C16/early C17 with later alterations and wing of 1934-6. Built to designs of Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1934-6 and incorporating, on the West, part of a C17 house, once known as Micklen Hall. 3-storeyed Clipsham Ashlar on a semi-basement, and including a chapel. The west range on the North retains most of a 3-storeyed plastered rubble house with a modern tile-hung gable in which is an attic. On the north-west is a projecting stone stack with a modern brick shaft. The west side is cement-faced. Modern sash windows. There is a C18 Doric-style doorway with engaged columns. Interior:- See RCHM p176. a. Includes C18 panelling, fireplace and plaster frieze. The modern buildings (dated 1935) are of coursed rubble, part rendered with a red tile roof and stone stacks 3 storeys and attic. 2:3 and 4 light mullioned windows with leaded lattices. Gabled. South-west extension built 1957-8.









Listing NGR: SP5131205936

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 176

National Grid Reference: SP 51312 05936

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046738 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2018 at 02:41:32.

End of official listing