THE RADCLIFFE INFIRMARY (MAIN BLOCK)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1047066

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1954

Statutory Address: THE RADCLIFFE INFIRMARY (MAIN BLOCK), WOODSTOCK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RADCLIFFE INFIRMARY (MAIN BLOCK)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047066 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 11:30:18.

Location

Statutory Address: THE RADCLIFFE INFIRMARY (MAIN BLOCK), WOODSTOCK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 51009 07073

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



612/2/101 WOODSTOCK ROAD 612/3/101 (West side) 12-JAN-54 THE RADCLIFFE INFIRMARY (MAIN BLOCK)

GV II*



WOODSTOCK ROAD 1. 1485 (West Side) The Radcliffe Infirmary original infirmary block SP 5007 SE 2/101 SP 5107 SW 3/101 12.1.54. II GV 2.

Infirmary. 1759-70. By Stiff Leadbetter (d.1766) and founded on the benefaction of Dr. John Radcliffe. 3-storeyed Headington ashlar with attics in a Welsh slate mansard roof.

PLAN: Central entrance at ground floor into two-storey entrance hall. Longitudinal corridors at each storey to projecting cross-wings at both ends. Central room to rear projects to bay window with Board Room at first floor and chapel originally above.

EXTERIOR: 5-part facade with projecting cross-wings of two windows wide to each end and a slightly projecting frontispiece, three windows wide capped with pediment. Ground floor entrance of 1933 by Stanley Hemp replaces original first floor entrance. Entrance of round-headed doorway with keystone flanked by pilasters carrying a panel and capped with finials. Ground floor reads as basement with six-over-three sashes and plinth. Six-over-six sashes to first and second stories. Sashes have flush surrounds, except for salient sills and first floor sill band. Segmental arch three-over-three dormers to mansard attic behind parapet with cornice. Round window to pediment. Narrow, deep ashlar chimneys. Pair of octagonal full-height sanitary towers by C. Buckeridge of 1869 to rear with water tanks to attic storey. 1911-13 outpatients block by Edward Warren attached and projecting to front left. C19 and C20 additions to the rear.

INTERIOR: Longitudinal corridors to first floor are tunnel-vaulted in rough stone and groin-vaulted in finished stone at centre near entrance to Board Room. Board Room with C18 and C19 plaster panels inscribed with the names and donations of benefactors. Upper level rooms with 6-panel door, transom, stone fireplace surround, flag stone floor.

The Radcliffe Infirmary Buildings form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5101607146

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 245941

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ingrams, , Memorials, (1837)
'Oxford History Society' in Oxford History Society, , Vol. 41, (1901), 308-310

End of official listing