This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1047076



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-May-1982

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 245968

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/09/2012

SP5305 20/840 1485

HERTFORD STREET Comper Foundation Stage School

(Formerly listed as St. Mary and St. John First School)


Formerly St. Mary and St. John Infants School, c. 1902. W Bucknall and J N Comper. Free Gothic. H-p1an school with central hall and classrooms to north, east and south. Red brick with dormers of roughcast and imitated half timbering. Tiled roofs. Windows throughout have Tudor arches and single chamfer, heavy wooden casements with all glazing bars. Facade to Hertford Street : Gabled wings with round coping and three stepped windows. The centre is of six bays with crenellated parapet and buttresses with two setbacks. Two large triangular dormers centred over second and fifth bays. On central buttress a small cusped stone niche with figure of St. Mary and foundation stone with worn applied lettering. Asymmetrical end facades, each with Tudor lancets under central gable and plank door with ornamental hinges to right hand side. Rear facade of five gables, the three in centre over triple windows. Two dormers as at front.

Interior. Central hall with wide pointed wooden tunnel vault, brought to seven corbels on each side by small cross vaults above large glazed partitions which light the classrooms on east, and windows on west. Vault defined by delicate roll-moulded ribs on arrises and perpendicular to the ridge, painted brown, dark blue and gold (said to reproduce the original scheme). Classrooms under tunnel vaults running out from walls of hall.

Listing NGR: SP5310205198

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP5310205198


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047076 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 09:29:29.

End of official listing