HOLYWELL MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1047132

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1954

Statutory Address: HOLYWELL MANOR, ST CROSS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOLYWELL MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047132 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 04:33:09.

Location

Statutory Address: HOLYWELL MANOR, ST CROSS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 52030 06696

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST CROSS ROAD 1. 1485 (East side) Holywell Manor SP 50 NW 24/119 12.1.54. II 2. RCHM 252. Now a hostel of Balliol College. The original house was rebuilt in 1516 by Merton College and parts of this remain but the whole has recently been reconditioned with considerable additions, 1931. The ancient block is L shaped in plan with wings to the North and East. On the South side of the East wing is a gabled projection which functions as a porch and staircase well. The West elevation on the road is 2-storeyed coursed rubble with 2 gables in each of which are modern 4-light stone mullioned windows. Stone slate roof and stone stacks. In the 1st floor are 6-single-light stone-framed windows with 4-centred heads, 3 of which are ancient and in addition there are 2 2-light similar but modern windows. The ground floor has 2-light similar, and a 3-light, windows, with square labels, some of which being original. There is a renewed stone doorframe with a 4-centred head. The South elevation of the East wing is 2-storeyed coursed rubble with 1st floor 2-and 3-light stone mullioned windows with 4-centred heads and a stone slate roof. The windows in the ground floor have renewed stone frames with modern sashes and there is also here one original but partly renewed, 3-light stone mullioned window with a square moulded label. The 3-storeyed gabled projection has angle buttresses, a stone slate roof, an original single-light stone framed window and some modern wood-framed windows. The North wall of the North wing has been rebuilt. There are modern additions on the East and North of the East wing. Interior: RCHM p 183 a. Includes some moulded ceiling beams in the former hall in the South wing, some original fireplaces, some reset C17 panelling, and some original roof timbers. History. For an account of its uses and inhabitants see Proc Oxford Archit Hist Soc V 203-4. For the history of The Holy Well on the site, see ib 207 and VI, 110-112. For drawing of 1820 exterior by J C Buckler, see Bodl MS Don A 3 II 72.

Listing NGR: SP5203006696

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 245808

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 183
'Proceedings of Oxford Architecture and History Society' in Proceedings of Oxford Architecture and History Society, , Vol. 5, (), 203-204
'Proceedings of Oxford Architecture and History Society' in Proceedings of Oxford Architecture and History Society, , Vol. 5, (), 207
'Proceedings of Oxford Architecture and History Society' in Proceedings of Oxford Architecture and History Society, , Vol. 5, (), 110-112

End of official listing