43, ST GILES STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1047145
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
43, ST GILES STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047145.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 07:30:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
43, ST GILES STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 51142 06792

Details

1. ST GILES' STREET 1485 (West side) No 43 SP 5106 NW 5/514 12.1.54. II GV 2. House. RCHM 179. Dated on front "W P 1660" but has been subsequently altered. 3-storeyed plastered rubble with cellars, moulded cornice and Welsh slate roof. There are 3 windows in each floor in stuccoed frames; those in the ground and 1st floors have sashes; the 2nd floor windows have 2-light casements. The sash windows all have glazing bars. There is a tripartite sash on the lst floor. The central doorway has an early C19 reeded frame with angle paterae. The side doorway on the North (now used for No 42) has flat pilasters with moulded caps and pediment, all in wood. Interior: The whole of the lst floor front has been converted to a "meeting room". A few ancient flat slat balusters of the original staircase remain in the upper flight.

Nos 31 to 46 (consec) and Nos 49 to 56 (consec) form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5114206792

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245841
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/04042/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John O'Brien. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].