RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1047193

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1954

Statutory Address: RECTORY, MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047193 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 18:20:09.

Location

Statutory Address: RECTORY, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 52688 03478

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MILL LANE 1. 1485 (West Side) Rectory SP 5203 SE 15/67 12.1.54. II* GV 2. RCHM 258 with a plan. Rectangular plan with the long axis North and South and with an East wing and other additions. The South range of the main North-South block is probably Cl3 and the North range added in Cl6. The East wing was added probably in Cl7. Two and partly 3-storeyed rubble with a stone slate roof and brick shafts. On the East elevation in the North range, are two projecting stacks and 2 Cl6 stone mullioned windows; the North range has a moulded string at the 1st floor, and 3-and 6-light C16 windows on the West; the square-headed stone doorway has a label and moulded jambs. The North elevation has on the North-East angle a staircase projection with a modern corridor on its East side; the windows here are Cl6. Interior:- RCHM page 185b. Includes a Cl3 opening reset in the East wall of the South range, which may possibly have come from the anchorite's cell known to have been on the South side of the chancel of Iffley Church (Notes and Queries Volumn 187 (1944) pages 292-3). There is some Cl7 panelling, a plaster ceiling and some exposed roof timbers in the South range. The whole restored and altered 1959.

The Rectory forms a group with Court House, the Church and Church Cottage, Church Way.

Listing NGR: SP5268703479

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 245666

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 185
'Notes and Queries' in Notes and Queries, , Vol. 187, (1944), 292-293

End of official listing