30, HOLYWELL STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1047229
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
30, HOLYWELL STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047229.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2021 at 19:32:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
30, HOLYWELL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 51692 06536

Details

HOLYWELL STREET 1. 1485 (North Side) No 30 SP 5106 NE 6/199 12.1.54. II GV 2. House. RCHM 201. C17 refashioned in C18. 2-storeyed plastered timber-framed front with cellars and 2 large gabled dormers. Behind these gables is another central gable visible behind a Welsh slate roof. There are brick stacks. On the East is a coachway or "broad gate" (see Antiq Jnl 27(1947), p 146 Plate XXI c). The ground floor has a 3-light casement window in a wood frame with shutters, and the doorway has a modern and plain frame. The lst floor has 1 slightly projecting 3-light C18 sash window with a flower-box rail. In each of the dormers is a sash window in a wood frame. Interior: RCHM p 180 b. Includes a C18 fire-place.

All the listed buildings on the North Side form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5169206536

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245571
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 180
'Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London' in Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London, , Vol. 27, (1947), 146

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/00307/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Helen Green. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].