HOLYWELL MUSIC ROOM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1047232
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
HOLYWELL MUSIC ROOM, 34, HOLYWELL STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047232.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2021 at 20:23:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOLYWELL MUSIC ROOM, 34, HOLYWELL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 51644 06554

Details

HOLYWELL STREET 1. 1485 (North Side) No 34 (Holywell Music Room) SP 5106 NE 6/195 12.1.54. II* GV 2. Begun in 1742 to the design of Rev Dr Thomas Camplin, Vice Principal of St Edmund Hall and Archdeacon of Taunton, and opened in 1748 at the cost of £1,263 lOs Od. 1-storeyed rubble 65 ft x 32 ft x 30 ft high with an apselike North end and a Welsh slate roof. The South front is stuccoed brick, lies back from the street about 38 ft and has a projecting rectangular shaped ground floor with 2 semi-circular arched windows and a stone band and a moulded cornice; the 1st floor has 3 C18 sash windows in moulded pediment in which is a blind circular lunette. On the East side there are 3 semi-circular arched windows. History. Probably one of the earliest buildings in Europe erected specially for musical performances. (See Peshall's Edition of Wood's Ancient and Present State of City of Oxford (1773), 247-8 0xf Hist Soc XV (1889), 247-8; Proc Oxf Architect and Hist Soc V, 208; for drawing of exterior made by J C Buckler in 1812, p Bodl M S Don a 3 II, 85.

All the listed buildings on the North Side form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5164406554

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245575
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wood, , Ancient and Present State of City of Oxford, (1773), 247-248
'Oxford History Society' in Oxford History Society, , Vol. 15, (1889), 247-248
'Proceedings of Oxford Architecture and History Society' in Proceedings of Oxford Architecture and History Society, , Vol. 5, (), 208

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/00307/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Helen Green. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].