Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047248.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2021 at 00:21:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Oxford (District Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 51812 06244


HIGH STREET 1. 1485 (South Side) Nos 86 &87 SP 5106 SE 9/418 12.1.54. II* GV 2. House and shop, 1 building. RCHM 63. Early C17 with a long wing at the back on South East. 3-storeyed roughcast timber-framinwith cellars and an early Cl9 (after 1814) stone Doric ground floor front with 7 engaged columns. There is an overhang at the 2nd floor, a moulded eaves cornice and a parapet. The lst floor has 3 sash windows in plain frames and the 2nd floor has similar but smaller windows. At the back are also Cl9 extensions; the West side of the early wing projects and has 3 gabled dormers. Interior. RCHM p 163 b. Includes on the ground floor good original ornamented plastered ceiling beams and panelling and some early Cl8 panelling and a fireplace. The upper floors have recently (1949) been altered and adapted as rooms for University College; there are here some original plastered and ornamented ceiling beams, panelling and stone fireplaces and an early cl8 staircase.History:- For leases and tenants 1565-1884 see Oxf Hist Soc LVI (1914) 167-9 and Antiq Jnl XXVII (1947), 139. Once the site of Boster Hall and Saracen's Head.

All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5181206244


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 163
'Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London' in Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London, , Vol. 27, (1947), 139
'Oxford History Society' in Oxford History Society, , Vol. 66, (1914), 167-169


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16719/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].