39-41, HIGH STREET, 2, QUEENS LANE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1047280
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
2, QUEENS LANE
Statutory Address:
39-41, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047280.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2021 at 00:20:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
2, QUEENS LANE
Statutory Address:
39-41, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 51843 06272

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 1485 (North Side) Nos 39 to 41 (consec) SP 5106 SE 9/415 12.1.54. II GV 2. With No 2 QUEEN'S LANE. Corner site. 1 building. RCHM 60. C17-C18 3-storeyed stuccoed timber-framing with cellars. It was refaced early in C18 and has a modillioned wood eaves cornice and a Welsh slate roof. The 1st floor has 7 C18-style sash windows in moulded wood frames and cornices. The 2nd floor has similar windows in plain moulded frames. Between Nos 40 and 41 is a fluted rainwater head and pipe. The West elevation of the range extending to the North along Queen's Lane is similar in style but has 3-light sash and coupled sash windows; it is thought to have been buiit in early C17. Interior. RCHM page 163a. Includes, in No 41, some reset early C16 linen-fold panelling. History. See Oxford History Society. LXVI (1914), 313. It was completely rebuilt behind the facade circa 1968 and given modern C18 style shop windows with bowed fronts.

All the listed buildings on the North Side form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5183806273

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245488
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 163
'Oxford History Society' in Oxford History Society, , Vol. 66, (1914), 313

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10469/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andrew Carter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].