42 AND 43, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1047281
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
42 AND 43, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047281.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2021 at 00:56:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
42 AND 43, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 51855 06268

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 1485 (North Side) Nos 42 & 43 SP 5106 SE 9/414 12.1.54. jl2 & 4 5 II GV 2. House and shops. 1 building. RCHM 61. Originally C16-17 altered in early C18 and possibly since. 3-storeyed stuccoed timber-framing on a brick and stone base with cellars, a 2-gabled attic floor, Welsh slate roof and brick stacks. The 2nd and 3rd floors project slightly and have a moulded and dentilled cornice between them. The 2 gables have moulded and enriched bargeboards and in each is a small sash window. Each floor has a C18 bay window in which are double C18 sashes in moulded frames. In the central passage-way are an outer and an inner C16-17 moulded wood doorframe with a 4-centred head, stop chamfers and moulded spandrels and in each of which is carved a rose on the outer frame and a blank shield on the inner one. There are 2 moulded ceiling beams in the passage way. Modern shopfront and central doorway to passage through. History. Once known as Chapel Hall Oxford History Society LXVI (1914). 3l2-l4, for leases and tenants 1598-1849 and LXIX (1916) 339.

All the listed buildings on the North side form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5185206270

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245489
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 163
'Oxford History Society' in Oxford History Society, , Vol. 66, (1914), 312-314
'Oxford History Society' in Oxford History Society, , Vol. 69, (1916), 339

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/02384/03
Rights: Copyright IoE S. F. Jamieson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].