THE DAUBENY LABORATORY THE MANLEY LABORATORY THE VINES WING THE WEST BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1047285

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1954

Statutory Address: THE DAUBENY LABORATORY, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE MANLEY LABORATORY, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE VINES WING, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE WEST BLOCK, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE DAUBENY LABORATORY
THE MANLEY LABORATORY
THE VINES WING
THE WEST BLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047285 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2019 at 03:43:34.

Location

Statutory Address: THE DAUBENY LABORATORY, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE MANLEY LABORATORY, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE VINES WING, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE WEST BLOCK, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 52027 06135

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 1485 (South Side) Botanic Gardens The west block SP 5206 SW 10/424 l2.l.54. west block II GV 2. The West Block retains in its centre the western-most orangery, originally of one storey and built by Townesend in 1733-5; it was later raised by one storey (? c.186l). To the east and west of this original nucleus were built the Vines Wing, the Daubeny Laboratory and the Manley Laboratory. The whole South elevation now shews a homogeneous whole (and has been graded II to preserve the Townesend part in particular) but the frontage is broken by the additions. (a) The Vines Wing of 1910. 2-storeyed ashlar on the South in style similar to the Townesend building. On the North elevation is a moulded band at the lst floor, moulded cornice and a small parapet. 3 1st floor sash windows with rusticated keystones and plain recessed reveals; below each is a rusticated rectangular raised panel. The West part breaks forward and has a plain doorway with 2 sash windows on each side, and in the 1st floor is a 3-light sash window in a recessed frame with a rusticated keystone. (b) The Daubeny Laboratory built in 1848, has as its nucleus in the centre, the western most one-storeyed orangery built by Townesend. The south elevation follows Townesend's design and consists of two storeyed ashlar with a moulded cornice at the 1st floor and a parapet with a moulded cornice below it. At the 1st floor level are rectangular rusticated panels. The North elevation is of 2-storeyed ashlar and a parapet. 5 sash windows, the centre 3 breaking forward in plain reveals with rusticated keystones below each window in the 1st floor are rectangular rusticated panels. (c) The Manlev Laboratory, 1902. The South elevation follows the other two ranges on the east; the 1st floor was added in 1932. The North elevation is 2-storeyed plain ashlar with a moulded band at the 1st floor, moulded eaves cornice, small parapet and 2-light casement windows.

All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5202706135

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 245499

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

End of official listing