This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1047331



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 245418

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. COWLEY ROAD 1485 (North-East Side) Bartlemas House SP 5305 20/84 12.1.54. II* 2. To the north of St Bartholomew's Chapel. RCHM 252. Part of St Bartholomew's Hospital, rebuilt by Oriel College in 1649. 2-storeyed rubble in a long rectangular plan originally giving 4 tenements, now one house, facing south. Stone slate roof and 2 moulded stone end stacks with moulded stone shafts. At the back are two projecting stone stacks with moulded stone shafts. The south elevation has two plain stone doorways with 4-centred heads and 4- light partly renewed stone mullioned windows. The elevation has two similar doorways and single light windows. In the east elevation are some stone mullioned windows. Interior. RCHM page 184b. Includes some stone fireplaces and some original and some modern (1922) wood doorframes having initials and dates in the spandrels, for the College Provosts and Fellows, two being "I.S.P." for John Saunders, Provost, 1644-53. The roof timbers appear to be mostly renewed.

Listing NGR: SP5346505504

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 184

National Grid Reference: SP 53468 05502


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047331 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 04:45:57.

End of official listing