CARFAX TOWER TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARTIN CARFAX

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1047353
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
CARFAX TOWER, CARFAX
Statutory Address:
TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARTIN CARFAX, CARFAX

Map

Ordnance survey map of CARFAX TOWER
TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARTIN CARFAX
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047353 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 12:50:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CARFAX TOWER, CARFAX
Statutory Address:
TOWER OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARTIN CARFAX, CARFAX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 51306 06178

Details

CARFAX 1. 1485 Tower of the Church of St Martin Carfax (Carfax Tower) SP 5106 SW 8/295 12.1.54. II 2. Church rebuilt in 1820-22 by John Ploman, except for west tower, and demolished 1896, again leaving the tower which is, probably C14 in origin; (probably with Saxon work also); it was restored in 1896 by Sir T G Jackson who added the buttresses and turret. The tower has a fine clock with animated figures striking the hours. (RCHM 33). Forms the Western terminal of the High Street.

Listing NGR: SP5130606178

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245370
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06517/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email EnrichingThe[email protected].