This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HARPSDEN COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HARPSDEN COURT

List entry Number: 1047412

Location

HARPSDEN COURT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Harpsden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 247097

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARPSDEN SU78SE 7/76 Harpsden Court 24/10/51 GV II* Country house. Possibly C17 with C18 and C19 alterations. Red brick; rough cast render to front; plain tile roof; brick stacks. 2 storey and attic, 2 window cross-gable to left, 2-storey porch, 4-window range, 2-window cross gable to right. Panelled studded door to porch, 4-light 2-row wooden mullion and transom window to 1st floor with shaped gable above. Cross gable to left; two 2-light wooden mullion and transom windows to ground floor; false circular bulls-eye window to gable. 4-window range to right of porch; three 2-light wooden mullion and transom windows to ground floor, with 4-light wooden mullion and transom window to left of centre with gothick decorative top. 1st floor: 4-light wooden mullion and transom window with gothick top above that on ground floor; 2-light mullion and transom window to right. Palladian sash window to right. Cross gable to right; two 2-light wooden mullion and transom windows to ground and first floor. False circular bulls-eye window to gable. Pedimented dormers to roof, ridge stack to right. Left hand return: 2 storeys and attic with 3 cross-gables. Interior not inspected but likely to be of interest. History: described c. 1540 by Leland as house with 2 courtyards. (Pevsner, N. Buildings of England : Oxfordshire 1979, p.634-5).

Listing NGR: SU7637280852

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 634-35

National Grid Reference: SU 76372 80852

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047412 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2018 at 10:55:59.

End of official listing