CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1047466
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047466 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 10:34:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Tiddington-with-Albury
National Grid Reference:
SP 65557 05081

Details

TIDDINGTON-WITH-ALBURY ALBURY SP60NE 3/162 Church of St. Helen 18/07/63

GV II

Small church. 1830. By Thomas Rickman for Hon. Frederick Bertie. Limestone ashlar; C20 artificial stone-slate roofs. Chancel, nave and vestry. Perpendicular style. 2-bay chancel has single-light side windows and 3-light east window under a triangular recess; 3-bay nave has 2-light side windows and a shallow stone-roofed south porch to left of centre. Some windows have simple tracery and all have heavy hood moulds with head stops. West end has small arched doorway, 3 plain lancets in the gable, and a square stone belfry with a stone spirelet decorated with lucarnes and a cross finial. Small lean-to vestry to north of chancel. Interior: Roof has queen-post trusses with curved braces and pendants. Norman tub front with chevron moulding. Early C20 stained glass. Ledger to Mrs. Jane Nares (died 1738) with oval armorial relief. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.14; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.419-20).

Listing NGR: SP6555705081

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
246929
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 419-20
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 14

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06436/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Eric Sewell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]d.org.uk.