This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SCHOOLHOUSE AND ATTACHED INFANTS SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SCHOOLHOUSE AND ATTACHED INFANTS SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1047492

Location

SCHOOLHOUSE AND ATTACHED INFANTS SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Milton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 21-May-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 246890

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT MILTON HIGH STREET SP60SW (West side) 5/124 Schoolhouse and attached 18/07/63 Infants School (Formerly listed as Great Milton School)

- II*

Schoolhouse and attached school. Early C17 and 1854. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; old plain tile roof with brick stacks. H-plan. 2 storeys plus attics. C17 range to left projects to front and rear with stone gable parapets, ornamental kneelers and apex finials. Front gable has stone-mullioned windows of 4, 3 and 2 lights, all with concave chamfers and labels. Entrance in return to right has a studded door with strap hinges in a 4-centre arched doorway with recessed spandrels and label. 2-light mullioned window above has diamond-leaded lights. Externally-C19 centre range of one bay has 3-light mullioned windows and a 2-light gabled roof dormer. School room range to right has matching front gable (slightly lower) with a large stone mullioned and transomed window. Arched doorway in left return facing schoolhouse door. Very large stack to left of centre with 5 tall shafts set alternately straight and diagonal. Further single-shaft stack to right of centre with tiled bellcote. Left gable wall has further C17 mullioned windows to 3 floors with single-storey range projecting to rear. Interior: Several 4-centre arched stone fireplaces; beams with elaborate double-ovolo mouldings, some intersecting; dogleg stair to attics with winders; timber-framed partitions; butt-purlin roof. Inscription on schoolroom wing "HILTON/NATIONAL/SCHOOL/1854". (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VII, p. 118; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.622).

Listing NGR: SP6292302945

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 622
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 118

National Grid Reference: SP 62950 02937

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047492 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2018 at 07:13:59.

End of official listing