This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CROMWELLS HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CROMWELLS HOUSE

List entry Number: 1047566

Location

CROMWELLS HOUSE, 17, MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Old Marston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 246662

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARSTON MILL LANE SP50NW (East side) Old Marston 4/142 No.17 (Cromwells House) 18/07/63

GV II

Manor house, now house. Early/mid C17, possibly partly earlier, extended early C20. Coursed squared limestone rubble with timber lintels; old plain-tile roof with brick gable stacks. 2-unit through-passage plan. 2 storeys plus attics. 2-window front, with chamfered plinth, has central triangular-headed doorway with label and .3-light leaded casements at ground and first floors. The 2 gabled roof dormers with canted bay windows on moulded cills and brackets do not appear on early views of he house. To left, set back, and to rear are C20 buff-brick extensions. Interior: oak screen, to left of passage, with ovolo-moulded framing and Tudor-arched doorway with foliage-carved spandrels; stone arched fireplace with recessed spandrels and cast-iron fireback of 1649; re-set (4-centre arched doorway with recessed spandrels and ribbed oak door. Part of the Manor house noted as having been built by Unton Croke and used as Fairfax's headquarters during the seige of Oxford in 1645. The treaty for the surrender of Oxford was signed there in 1646. See also No.15 Mill Lane (Manor House). (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.215).

Listing NGR: SP5259908918

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 215

National Grid Reference: SP 52599 08918

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047566 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2018 at 06:29:39.

End of official listing