MANOR FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1047578

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE, POUND LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047578 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 00:47:37.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE, POUND LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Stanton St. John

National Grid Reference: SP 57776 09453

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STANTON ST. JOHN POUND LANE SP50NE (East side) 5/168 Manor Farmhouse 18/07/63

GV II*

Farmhouse. Possibly C14, and early C17. Limestone rubble; old plain-tile roof with stone and brick stacks. 2-unit range plus L-plan addition. 2 storeys plus attic. Early range has central door, with traces of relieving arch. flanked by large C18 casements, at ground and first floors, and has a blocked single-light window with dressed stone surround. Middle range, projecting to left, has similar blocked light and remains of stone-mullioned windows in wall facing right; end wall, with half-hipped gable, has chamfered plinth which steps up and continues along front of range lying parallel to early range, containing 3-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned stair window. Gable end, facing left has similar window. Left end of early range has first-floor window with pointed arch and hood mould. 2 large projecting stone chimneys, with many weathered offsets, to rear wall of early range, one with 2 diagonal brick shafts; similar stack on rear gable wall of middle range. Various rear and gable outshuts. Interior: Early range has chamfered pointed-segmental rear arch to doorway. Middle range has C17 oak-panelled room including fine overmantel with arched panels beneath carved frieze of intersecting lunettes between shallow consoles supporting a dentil cornice; fireplace has remains of an earlier wider fireplace with moulded stone surround; wave-moulded cross beam. Roof of middle range has central truss with arched braces to collar. Mid C17 stair has newel finials, very heavy turned balusters and hanging Tudor arches between pendants, Roof to early range is C18/C19. Noted has having been extensively repaired in 1660. The house may have been the manor house. V.C.H.: 0xfordshire, Vol,V, p,28S; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p,785),

Listing NGR: SP5776809450

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 246688

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 785
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 283

End of official listing