CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1047621

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047621 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 18:19:24.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Forest Hill with Shotover

National Grid Reference: SP 58232 07504

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FOREST HILL WITH SHOTOVER MAIN STREET SP50NE (North side) Forest Hill 5/64 Church of St. Nicholas 18/07/63

GV II*

Church. C12 and c.1200, partly rebuilt early C17, extended 1852. North aisle by Gilbert Scott. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; old plain-tile roofs. Chancel, 3-bay nave with north aisle, south porch; organ chamber to north of chancel. Chancel has 2 lancets to south and one to north, c.1200, and a triplet to east by J.H. Parker. South wall of nave is probably early C17 and has a round-headed window, to west of the porch, and a 2-light Decorated-style window, probably by Scott. Early C17 porch has a small window with ovolo-moulded stone surround and a gable parapet with projecting kneelers. The outer arch is a re-set doorway of c.1200 with roll and keel mouldings to arch and 2 pairs of attached shafts with waterleaf capitals. The gabled west bell turret has 3 pointed openings and may be C13; it is supported by 2 massive later buttresses flanking a 3-light traceried C15 window. North aisle and vestry/organ chamber in Geometrical-Decorated style, has traceried 2-light windows to east and west. Interior: Chancel side walls have continuous strings at sill level and around the semi-circular heads of the splays. The east window has elaborate rear arches with freestanding shafts. To south is a round-arched recess and column piscina beside two C19 stone seats. C12 chancel arch is plain except for heavy imposts, North arcade of nave is in early-Decorated style with octagonal piers and there is stencilled decoration in the spandrels. Similar decoration and texts above the chancel arch may be C17. The nave has a fine 7-canted roof with a collar purlin supported by 4 octagonal crown posts with moulded capitals and bases. The tie beams have ovolo mouldings and soffit channels, and one is dated 1630. The 7-canted chancel roof is probably contemporary. Font, pulpit and fittings are C19. Glass in chancel by T. Willement, and in north aisle by Holland of Warwick, 1852. Wall monument,in coloured marbles to Ann Heywood (died 1756), and several plainer C18 memorials. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp,605-6).

Listing NGR: SP5823207504

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 246584

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 605-6
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957)

End of official listing