MINCHERY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1047672
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
MINCHERY FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MINCHERY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047672 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 13:28:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
MINCHERY FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Littlemore
National Grid Reference:
SP 54535 02285

Details

SP 50 SW SANDFORD-ON-THAMES 1/109 Minchery Farmhouse. 18/07/63 - II*

Farmhouse, now country club. C15 dormitory range of Littlemore Priory reconstructed c.1600. Limestone rubble with squared dressings; old plain-tile roof with stone and brick ridge stacks. Single range running north-south with stair tower on west. 2 storeys plus attics. 5-window entrance front (west) has central doorway with 4-centre moulded stone arch and label. To right a C20 3- light window with a C20 stone-mullioned window beyond. Between, a single light at intermediate height in line with stone stack, with ovolo-moulded surround. At first floor, mullioned windows of 2,3 and 2 lights, only that over the door having its original ovolo-moulded stonework. Left from the door is a gabled stair tower of 2 storeys with C19 window openings under stone segmental arches. To left is a further bay with re-modelled openings and a secondary entrance. A single-bay 2-storey extension from the north gable wall is probably late C18. The east front has at first floor a row of 5 evenly spaced single lights. They are probably C15 and have trefoil and cinquefoil heads in concave-chamfered rectangular surrounds. To right is a 4-light mullioned window, also concave-chamfered. At ground floor is a doorway, opposite the main entrance, with moulded 4-centre arched head. To left is a C15 window with 2 trefoil-headed lights and beyond a single light with chamfered stone surround. To right a mutilated mullioned window of 2 chamfered lights and another C15 window of 2 trefoiled-headed lights. Bay to extreme left has C20 altered openings. South gable wall with brick stack was probably rebuilt in C18. Interior: Now much altered, but has several chamfered and stopped beams and 2-stone moulded Tudor-arched fireplaces at first floor. The early C17 dog- leg stair rising to the attics has pierced flat balusters and lantern finials and pendants. Wooden 3-centre arches with carved spandrels over the flights. The 7-bay roof has 8 heavy queen-post trusses, each with collars clasping purlins, the top collar being cambered. Views of about 1826 show mullioned windows throughout, roughly in the present arrangement, but the west front has the remains of a stone porch, and also has a Gothic-arched doorway to right of the single light former stair window. (V.C.H. Oxfordshire V, pp.267-8; Buildings of England, Oxfordshire, pp.689-90: W.A. Pantin, "Minchery Farm, Littlemore", Oxoniensia Vol 35 (1970), pp.19-26; National Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SP5453502285

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
246509
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 689-90
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 267-8
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, , Vol. 35, (1970), 19-26

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06450/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr David J Mazey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].