THE ALMSHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1047958
Date first listed:
24-Apr-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Jun-1988
Statutory Address:
THE ALMSHOUSE, 69, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ALMSHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1047958 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 03:42:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE ALMSHOUSE, 69, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Thame
National Grid Reference:
SP 70346 06158

Details

THAME HIGH STREET SP7006SW (North-east side) 8/81 No.69 (The Almshouse) 24/04/51 (Formerly listed as No.69 (The Almshouses))

GV II

Almshouse, converted to 4 dwellings. c.1555 for Lord Williams of Thame, C19 alterations. Large timber-framing, with tension braces to first floor, having painted brick infill; old plain-tile roof; brick ridge stacks to left of centre, and to centre. 2-storey, 7-window range at right angles to street. Ribbed doors to left and right with C19 open porches. C20 sash door to left of centre. Plank door to right of centre. 3-light wood casements to ground and first floor right and right of centre. Perpendicular lancets to ground and first floor left. 2-light wood casement to ground floor left of centre. 4-light casement to ground floor centre. 2 gabled half-dormers to left of centre having 3-light wood mullion and transom windows. Rear, to Church Road: two 2-light casements to ground floor right; single-light casements to first floor, except 2-light casement to right. Left return, to High Street: plank door to right. C19 bay window to left with wood mullion and transom windows. Jetty to first floor. Wood oriel bay window to first floor centre having wood mullion and trnasom windows, hipped plain-tile roof. Queen post roof truss to gable. C19 shaped bargeboards to gable. Interior not inspected. History: the Almshouse was founded by Lord Williams of Thame. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1979, p.815).

Listing NGR: SP7034606158

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
248510
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 815

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].