CHISELHAMPTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1048023

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Aug-1986

Statutory Address: CHISELHAMPTON HOUSE, B480

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHISELHAMPTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048023 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 12:44:33.

Location

Statutory Address: CHISELHAMPTON HOUSE, B480

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Stadhampton

National Grid Reference: SU 59336 99150

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STADHANPTON B480 SU5999 (East side) 11/124 Chiselhampton 18/07/63 Chiselhampton House (Formerly listed as Chiselhanpton Lodge with stables and coach house.

GV II*

Country house. 1768 by Samuel Dowbiggin for Charles Peers. Brick in Flemish bond with limestone ashlar dressings; 3 storeys plus basement. Symmetrical 3-window front has an ashlar plinth, a ground-floor sill band and a first-floor storey band. The deep entablature breaks forward slightly in the centre over 2 pairs of Ionic pilasters, which rise from the storey band, and has a triangular pediment containing the Peers arms. The entablature stops just short of the angles where breaks are marked by rusticated quoins rising from the sill band. The 12-pane sashes (6-pane at second floor) have moulded architraves and, at first floor, a central triangular pediment with straight cornices in the outer bays. The stone porch with 2 Greek Doric columns in antis is of c.1820. The 3-window return walls have pairs of 2-storey canted bay windows with similar sashes; to left the bays are now linked, to right the ground-floor windows have been covered. The plain 5-window garden front has a central stone doorway above a flight of steps. 3 lead hopper heads are inscribed "CP 1768". The hipped roof is concealed behind a plain parapet which replaced a balustrade. Interior: bow-ended 3-storey stair hall has a sweeping canilevered staircase with turned balusters and is lit by a glazed dome. Drawing room has canted ends and a white marble fireplace with Doric columns and a central carved panel. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VII, p.7; A. Oswald: "Chiselhampton House", Country Life, Vol,ll5, 1954, pp.216-9; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.542).

Listing NGR: SU5933699150

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 248365

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 542
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 7
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 115, (1954), 216-9

End of official listing