POLLARD MEMORIAL APPROXIMATELY 15 METRES EAST OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1048047

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1986

Statutory Address: POLLARD MEMORIAL APPROXIMATELY 15 METRES EAST OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of POLLARD MEMORIAL APPROXIMATELY 15 METRES EAST OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048047 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 17:19:57.

Location

Statutory Address: POLLARD MEMORIAL APPROXIMATELY 15 METRES EAST OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Nuneham Courtenay

National Grid Reference: SU 54182 98258

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NUNEHAM COURTENAY NUNEHAM PARK SU5498 12/85 Pollard Memorial approx. 15m. E of Church of All Saints

GV II

Monument. Late C16. Painted limestone. Large panelled chest tomb has 2 full-length effigies, the male raised up behind the female, and has a flat stone canopy carried on Corinthian columns and a deep frieze carved with fruit and swags. The soffit of the canopy is coffered and above it is strapwork cresting with a central cartouche of arms. A further armorial cartouche is fixed to the front of the canopy. The reredos has 2 arched recesses containing inscriptions commemorating Sir Anthony Pollard (died 1577) and Phillippa his wife. In front of the chest are 2 weathered effigies of children. The monument was removed to Baldon House grounds when the medieval Church of All Saints was demolished and was restored to Nuneham Park in the early C20. The monument is built into a C20 shelter. (Nuneham Park is included in the HBWC County Register of Gardens at Grade I; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.248; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.726).

Listing NGR: SU5418298258

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 248322

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 726
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 248
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

End of official listing