This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BEAUFOREST HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BEAUFOREST HOUSE

List entry Number: 1048069

Location

BEAUFOREST HOUSE, A329

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 248274

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWINGTON A329 SU6096 (West side) 15/37 Beauforest House 18/07/63

GV II

Rectory, now house. c.1500, late C18 and c.1800. Limestone ashlar and clunch rubble with some rendering; old plain-tile roofs with brick stacks. L-plan. 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5-window ashlar front, with storey band, cornice and parapet has a central doorway with pilasters, a triangular pediment and a delicate fanlight. 12-pane sashes contain much original glass. Hipped roof. Right end is bowed with 3 sashes at each floor, the lower windows 5 panes deep. Coursed clunch bay to rear has tripartite sashes with "C.M. CLOZIER 1774" on a flat arch. Lower range to extreme rear is partly rubble with brick dressings and partly early C20 brick probably replacing timber framing; there is a wooden bellcote on the roof. A subsidiary range extends to right and timber-framed range formerly extended to left. Interior: main rooms have delicate plaster cornices and early C19 fireplaces. Central stair hall has an open-well stair with ramped handrail. Ground floor of earlier rear range has intersecting moulded beans of triangular section and broad chamfered and stopped joists, probably of about 1500. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.716).

Listing NGR: SU6088196476

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 716

National Grid Reference: SU 60867 96559

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048069 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 10:11:21.

End of official listing