CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE OF CANTERBURY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1048169
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE OF CANTERBURY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE OF CANTERBURY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048169.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 05:03:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE OF CANTERBURY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
East Hendred
National Grid Reference:
SU 45931 88614

Details

EAST HENDRED CHURCH STREET SU4588 (North side) 19/60 Church of St. Augustine of 24/11/66 Canterbury (Formerly listed as Church of St. Augustine)

GV II*

Church. C12 origins; C14 north aisle, north transept, and chancel; C15 tower, south chapel and outer south aisle of 2 bays; restoration and re-modelling c.1860 by H. Woodyer including removal of south porch, south aisle extended and clerestory remodelled. Stone ashlar to tower; uncoursed stone rubble plinth to south aisle; render, probably on stone rubble to left; coursed stone rubble to right; flint and stone in random chequer to south chapel; lead roof to aisles; C20 plain-tile roof to nave; stone slate roof to chancel; roof of tower not visible. 3-bay chancel with side chapels, 4-bay aisled nave, and west tower. C19 plank door to left of south aisle with mid C19 surround. C19 geometrical tracery windows to south aisle. Two 3-light flat-headed Perpendicular tracery windows to south chapel, and to east end of chapel. C19 trefoils to clerestory. C19 geometrical tracery windows to east end of chancel and vestry. North side: C15 two-light reticulated tracery windows to north aisle. C15 three-light reticulated tracery window to north transept. C19 trefoils to clerestory. C19 fenestration to vestry. West tower of 3 stages: double plank doors to 4-centre arched doorway with plain spandrels and hood mould to west face of tower. 4-light rectilinear tracery window with hood-mould above. 2-light reticulated tracery louvred opening to each face of upper stage of tower. Open quatrefoil balustrade to top of tower, with corner finials. Interior: braced collar-truss roof to chancel, part panelled. C19 reredos, piscina and sedilia. South chapel: 2-bay Perpendicular roof. Some medieval glass fragments, including armorial bearings, to windows. Chancel screen of c.1860. C15 wood screen to south chapel. Octagonal wood pulpit and sounding board of c.1660 to left of chancel screen. C19 recut nave arcades of four 2-centred arches on columns. 2 centred arch to tower. (Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, p133; VCH: Berkshire: Vol 4, 1924, p.300-301)

Listing NGR: SU4593188614

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
250098
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 300-1
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 133

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Nov 2000
Reference: IOE01/03195/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr David J Mazey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].