CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1048274
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048274.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:29:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Wytham
National Grid Reference:
SP 47493 08553

Details

WYTHAM SP4708 10/166 Church of All Saints 09/02/66 GV II Church. Early C14 and C15: whollyrebuilt 1811 for the 5th Earl of Abingdon. Uncoursed roughly dressed limestone; coursed dressed limestone to chancel. Stone-coped stone-slate roofs. Chancel, and nave; west tower added 1811. Early C14 Curvilinear 2-light east window: east gable also has early C19 trefoiled light above early C16 round-headed light, and offset corner buttresses. 2-bay south wall of chancel has C15 cinquefoil-headed lights. 3-bay south wall of nave has early C14 two-light Decorated windows with unusual radiating mouchettes in head: north wall of nave has early C16 round-headed light, and early C14 two-light Decorated window to east of early C17 ashlar porch which has trefoiled spandrels to doorway and cinquefoil-headed side lights: C14 two-centred north doorway frames early C19 panelled and ribbed door. North aisle has early C16 2-light windows in end walls. Tower: C15-style door with scrolled ends to label mould; west door with Gothick head set in 2-centred moulded arch; late C15 two-light round-headed window and early C19 two-light window; stair-turret to south. Cinquefoiled lights to belfry; crenellated parapet. Interior: sanctuary has black and white quarry floor, dated 1701. Early C17 communion table; early C19 communion rail. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Early C19 Gothick pulpit and octagonal font on thin stem. Early C19 pews, and musicians' gallery with 3-bay segmental-arched arcade and thin Gothic-style panels. Early C19 hammer-beam roof: nave roof rests on early C14 head corbels, one of which shows a man playing bagpipes. Memorials: late C17 and C18 plain lozenge-shaped floor slabs. Reset brass of William de Wytham (d.1406) and wife with 3 shields reset on early C19 inscription. Three C17 wall tablets in chancel inscribed 1634/AP and 1624/TP set in heart, and to John Paynton, 1612. Stained glass: very fine C18 Adoration of the Shepherds in east window. Early C16 Flemish glass and C16 heraldic glass in south chancel windows. Nave has memorial windows of 1912, and of 1920 and 1930 by Robert Anning Bell. The rebuilt church incorporated material from Cumnor Place (demolished 1811), namely the early C14 east window and nave windows: the north door, head corbels and other details were re-used from the original church. The church borders the gardens of Wytham Abbey (q.v.) the former seat of the Earls of Abingdon and restored 1809-10. (V.C.H.: Vol.IV, p.429; Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.314; Bodleian Library, M.S. Top., Berks, c.57, Jol.l19, for drawings of church before and after rebuilding; National Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SP4749608556

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249843
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 429
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 314

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/05411/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Cumming. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].