TOLL GATE HOUSE,ATTACHED TO SWINFORD BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1048311

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: TOLL GATE HOUSE,ATTACHED TO SWINFORD BRIDGE, OXFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOLL GATE HOUSE,ATTACHED TO SWINFORD BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048311 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 01:33:16.

Location

Statutory Address: TOLL GATE HOUSE,ATTACHED TO SWINFORD BRIDGE, OXFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse (District Authority)

Parish: Cumnor

National Grid Reference: SP 44280 08650

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CUMNOR OXFORD ROAD SP40NW (East side) Swinford 2/54 Toll Gate House, attached to Swinford Bridge (q.v.) GV II Toll house. 1767, for 4th Earl of Abingdon. Limestone ashlar; hipped stone slate roof; rebuilt brick ridge stack. L-plan, with rear range along road. 2 storeys; 3-window range. Round-arched doorway frames plank door to right of 2 Diocletian windows; flat arches over 3 first-floor windows, C19 and one C18 cross window with 3 leaded lights to left; raised storey band. 2-storey rear wing, of coursed limestone rubble with gabled stone slate roof and rebuilt ridge and C18 brick end stacks: one-storey left side wall has timber lintels over two C20 doors, canted bay window with casements and 2 narrow C18 shutters to ticket hatches. Still in use as toll house. (E. de Villiers, Swinford Bridge, 1769-1969, 1969).

Listing NGR: SP4428008650

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 249729

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
De Villiers, E, Swinford Bridge 1769-1969, (1969)

End of official listing