THE TITHE HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND STABLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1048355

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: THE TITHE HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND STABLE, 15, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TITHE HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND STABLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048355 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 05:33:19.

Location

Statutory Address: THE TITHE HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND STABLE, 15, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse (District Authority)

Parish: Marcham

National Grid Reference: SU 45213 96750

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARCHAM CHURCH STREET SU4596 (West side) 18/143 No.15 (The Tithe House) and 09/02/66 attached walls and stable (Formerly listed as Tithe House No. 15 including barn to N)

GV II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1580: extension to right dated 1646, when house was remodelled. Rendered front and left side walls: left wing of c.1500 has original timber framing with arch braces and C18 brick infiil to rear right. Limestone rubble to right extension. Gabled and hipped stone slate roof; late C16 ridge stack to left of stone finished in brick, and right end stack of similar materials. L-plan, with rear left wing. 2 storeys; 3-window range. C19 six-panelled door : late C19 two- and 3-light casements except mid C17 three-light stone-mullioned cavetto-moulded window to top right. Right side wall: 1646 graffito date on quoin, and mid C17 stone cavetto-moulded window above blocked C17 window. Rear: C18 two-light leaded casements above mid C17 three-light stone-mullioned and transomed cavetto-moulded window. Interior: room to right has dado panelling and bolection-moulded fireplace and overmantle-panel of c.1720. Wing of c.1580 to left, remodelled in mid C17: front room has chamfered beams, timber-framed lateral partition with chamfered urn-stopped doorframe, and stone chamfered fireplace with cyma-moulded overmantle and inscribed date "RS 1580 TS". Mid C17 ovolo-moulded urn-stopped doorframe to right: quartered stop-chamfered beams in late C16 room behind stack: inserted mid C17 newel stairs right of stack were remodelled in C20 but retain original treads in attic: first floor has stop-chamfered beams and C17 plank doors set in stop-chamfered doorframes: 2 rooms to rear of stack are divided by timber-framed partition: timber-framed, originally external, wall of c.1580 building to right adjoins mid C17 extension: collar truss to front and closed timber truss to rear of late C16 stack. Mid C17 collar truss with curved windbraces to right. Subsidiary features: through-entry and stable to right of uncoursed limestone rubble with render and weatherboarding over entry, and gabled stone slate roof: C20 double doors to through-entry on left, which has C17 plank door and stone chamfered alcove to right: stables have ancient type of hewn oak staircase rising to loft: 4-bay queen-post roof with curved braces and windbraces to right. Walls: limestone rubble wall with buttress runs approx. 6Om. west from rear left corner of house. Tall (approx. 3m.) C17 wall of limestone rubble with squared quoins and chamfered plinth runs approx. 80m. north from right corner of stable, and is attached to dovecote (q.v.): from rear right corner of stable runs the former wall of abarn (demolished in early C20), which runs approx. 20m. W to meet medieval offset buttress. Shown on 1818 map as Parsonage. (Oxfordshire Record Office, Misc. Marcham Private Records 1/1).

Listing NGR: SU4521396750

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 249641

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing