CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1048405
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, FARINGDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048405.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 17:56:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, FARINGDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Fyfield and Tubney
National Grid Reference:
SU 43556 99249

Details

FYFIELD AND TUBNEY FARINGDON ROAD SU49NW (North side) Tubney 5/55 Church of St. Lawrence 25/01/72 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Lawrences)

GV II

Church. 1844-7, by Augustus Northmore Welby Pugin for Magdalene College, Oxford. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar dressings; gabled stone slate roof with crested ridge tiles; concrete tile roof to vestry and adjoining part of chancel roof; stone gable end stack to vestry. Chancel with north vestry, nave with west bellcote. Gothic Revival style. Decorated-style 3-light east window. Vestry has plain pointed doorway and shallow pointed moulded surrounds to 2-light windows. Two-bay chancel and 4-bay nave have one- and 2-light trefoil-headed windows. Gabled south porch to left has plain pointed chamfered doorways. Offset buttresses at all bay divisions: west bellcote supported by offset buttress at centre of west wall. Interior: chancel has finely carved reredos, benches with carved bench ends, communion rail and priest's chair with curved stretchers. Encaustic tile floor: trussed rafter roof with embattled wall plate has fine stencilled painting, probably by Pugin. Nave has pulpit, lectern and some benches with carved ends by Pugin. Octagonal font, with carved panels and bowl supports, given by Queen Adelaide. 3 fine chandeliers, and 3 candelabra on each wall. The plans by Pugin (dated 1844) and much correspondence relating to the church's building survive at Magdelene College, Oxford. The church cost £596 to build: Pugin wrote, "I first drew it out with a Tower, but it then cost 645, so I have altered it into a Belfry". This church was Pugin's only Anglican commission. (For watercolours, drawing and plan signed by Pugin 1844 see Magdalene College MS 743; Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.242-3; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.300; P. Stanton, Pugin, 1971, pp.132 and 205).

Listing NGR: SU4355699249

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249553
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 300
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 242-3
Stanton, P, Pugin, (1971), 132, 205

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/00441/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Catherine Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].