PILLAR IN BULL CROFT PARK APPROXIMATELY 35 METRES NORTH EAST OF THE CROSS KEYS PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1048492

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: PILLAR IN BULL CROFT PARK APPROXIMATELY 35 METRES NORTH EAST OF THE CROSS KEYS PUBLIC HOUSE, 48, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PILLAR IN BULL CROFT PARK APPROXIMATELY 35 METRES NORTH EAST OF THE CROSS KEYS PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048492 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 12:24:57.

Location

Statutory Address: PILLAR IN BULL CROFT PARK APPROXIMATELY 35 METRES NORTH EAST OF THE CROSS KEYS PUBLIC HOUSE, 48, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Wallingford

National Grid Reference: SU 60436 89537

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALLINGFORD HIGH STREET SU6089 (North side) Wallingford 7/91 Pillar in Bull Croft Park approx. 35m. NE of No.48 (The Cross Keys Public House)

GV II

Pillar. Probably late C18. Stone. Hexagonal plinth with wreathed oval panels to 4 sides. Worn carvings and inscriptions to panels. Fluted column shaft. Moved from the market place in 1921, where it was said to mark spot where bulls were baited. Included for group value. (V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.3, 1923, p.520).

Listing NGR: SU6043689537

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 249259

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 520

End of official listing