CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1048505
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, ST LEONARD'S LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048505.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:06:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, ST LEONARD'S LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Wallingford
National Grid Reference:
SU 60846 89078

Details

WALLINGFORD ST. LEONARD'S LANE SU6089SE (South side) Wallingford 11/128 Church of St. Leonard 09/12/49 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. Leonard's)

GV II*

Church. C11 tower, south arcade, apse, and other alterations c.1849 by Henry Hakewill. Flint and stone rubble mixture, with area of limestone rubble in herring-bone pattern below eaves of nave. Coursed squared stone to tower and apse; old plain-tile roof. Nave, south aisle, chancel and apse, with west tower. 6-panel door with wrought iron hinges to C19 Romanesque doorway with blind tympanum to right of nave. Irregular fenestration of C19 Romanesque lancets, except C14 style paired louvred lancet to Romanesque archway to each face with pyramidal roof. Rear: C19 plank door to left of centre of aisle. C19 lancets to aisle. C19 trefoils to nave clerestory. C19 lancet to chancel centre. C13 lancets to left and right. Blocked doorway with segmental pointed head to right: blocked opening with stone voussoirs to upper left. Interior: arch braced collar truss roof to chancel of 2 bays with 2 tiers of windbraces. C19 king post roof to nave of 3 bays. C19 lean-to roof to aisle. C19 apse arch with reset carving to chancel face of indented nail-head form, with basket work capitals to columns and carved faces to the responds of the arch. C19 chancel arch with reset carving to nave face of tablet-flower form with basket work imposts and outer sections of arch, C19 south arcade of 3 Romanesque arches. Good collection of late C18 funary monuments to north side of nave. Apse has wall paintings by G.D. Leslie c.1889. (V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.540-1; Buildings of England; Berkshire, 1966, p24B).

Listing NGR: SU6084689078

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249293
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 540-1
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 248

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/10763/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pauline A. Jorgensen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].