CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1048582
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048582 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 23:12:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Denchworth
National Grid Reference:
SU 38108 91714

Details

DENCHWORTH SU39SE 1/1 Church of St. James 24/11/66

GV II*

Church. Late C12, remodelled in mid/late C13, with early C14 south transept, and late C15/early C16 north transept; refenestrated and parapet added in late C15/early C16. Coursed and uncoursed limestone rubble; stone slate chancel and porch roofs, and sheet metal roof. Cruciform plan with north-west tower. East gable with C15 offset angle buttresses has early C14 three-light window; south wall of chancel has offset buttress, C15 four-centred cavetto-moulded doorway to C19 plank door and two C15 two-light square-headed windows; north wall of chancel has C16 vestry and chapel, extending into nave, with offset buttresses and early C16 two-light square-headed windows. North wall of nave has C15 one-light square-headed window. South transept has late C15/early Cib two-light square-headed windows and adjoins mid C19 gabled porch with pointed chamfered doorway. Stoup adjoins late C12 round-headed doorway with chamfered jambs, moulded imposts and billetted arch; offset buttress and C15 two-light square-headed window to left. Mid/late C13 three-light west window, flanked by offset buttresses. Gabled roofs; nave and chancel have C15 moulded parapets. North-west tower has offset angle buttresses, one-light slit window below string course and C15 two-light square-headed windows with stone slate louvres, and cavetto moulding to parapet. Interior: Chancel has mid/late C19 decorative tile floor and piscina; wall brasses to William Hyde, d. 1557, his wife and many children, and Oliver Hyde, d.1516, and his wife; C17 two-bay moulded tie-beam roof; C15 chancel arch. Early C14 arch with sunk-quadrant mouldings to south transept, which has 5 fine decorative wall tablets to the Geering family, 1690 to C18, one to Martha Frogley, d.1792, and floor tablet to Joan Geering, d.1717; 2-bay roof much restored in C19. Mid/late C13 arch on responds to north chapel, which has C17 lean-to roof much restored in C19, late C19 screen with linenfold panelling,and squint to chancel. Nave has Perpendicular style pulpit by A.B. Allin, 1889, and late C19 octagonal font; C17 three-bay roof restored in C19; stoup adjoins door. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.126-7; VCH: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.227. Kelly's Directory, 1898. p.58.)

Listing NGR: SU3810891714

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251095
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 227
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 126-127
'Kellys Directory' in Berkshire, (1898), 58

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16336/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Tim Belcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].