This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE MEMORIAL HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MEMORIAL HALL

List entry Number: 1048794

Location

THE MEMORIAL HALL, HIGHWORTH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Shrivenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250590

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. SHRIVENHAM HIGHWORTH ROAD (east side) The Memorial Hall SG 2388 7/56 II

2. 1921-5 in Cotswold Arts and Crafts style, possibly by John B Thorp, London firm of architects who made a model for the building in 1921 which survives in the clerk's office. Built of coursed and squared rubble stone and dressed stone quoins and openings with a wide sweep of gabled stone tiled roof and tall end stone stacks. I storey and attic with a SW front comprising a 3 bay half tile-hung gabled end to the it (the caretaker's quarters) adjoining a 5 bay range whose 4th bay is a gabled entrance with open timber framing in the apex. The roof of this main section has 4 hipped stone tiled dormers with 4 leaded lights to each and similar windows to the ground floor. The W wall has 2 polygonal bay windows. Built onto the rear is a C20 cricket pavilion. Inside the main congregation area has a wooden hammer-beam roof and there are several Perp style chimney pieces with oak leaf spandrels in adjoining rooms. Set back from the main road at the Swindon entrance to Shrivenham, the hall occupies an important visual site in the villagescape.

Listing NGR: SU2376788864

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 23767 88864

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048794 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2018 at 10:51:08.

End of official listing