LONG ALLEY ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1048811

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1951

Statutory Address: LONG ALLEY ALMSHOUSES, WEST ST HELEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LONG ALLEY ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048811 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 23:21:59.

Location

Statutory Address: LONG ALLEY ALMSHOUSES, WEST ST HELEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse (District Authority)

Parish: Abingdon

National Grid Reference: SU 49663 96729

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 752 WEST ST HELEN STREET (West Side)

SU 4996 1/205 19.1.51 Long Alley Almshouses

GV

2. Erected by the Fraternity of the Holy Cross in 1446. Row of single storey buildings in stone with the Guildhall in the centre. Brick stacks. Long oak cloister walk in front is circa 1500 and to it were added three elaborate C17 porches with paintings in panels executed by Sampson Strong of Oxford in 1605. The Hall was panelled at the same time and the mullioned bay window of stone added to the garden side, as well as the good octagonal lantern on the hall roof which bears the date of its repair, 1707. (See Preston, "Christ's Hospital" (1930), pp 8-32 and VCH Berks IV).

Twitty's Almshouses, Long Alley Almshouses, Brick Alley Almshouses and Church of St Helen form a group

Listing NGR: SU4965796736

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 250532

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924)
Preston, , Christs Hospital, (1930), 8-32

End of official listing