CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1048819
Date first listed:
31-Oct-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048819.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:39:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Fernham
National Grid Reference:
SU 29346 91903

Details

1. FERNHAM HIGH STREET Church of St John

SU 29 SE 2/1

II GV

2. 1861 by J H Hugall as recorded by Goodhart-Rendel. Squared and coursed rubble stone, dressed stone quoins and copings with gabled stone tiled roofs. 3 bay nave, 2 bay chancel, single w bellcote, S porch and N vestry. Early English details of 2 light cusped windows with roundels above under pointed arches to the nave and plain cusped lancets to the chancel. E window of 3 cusped lancets with quatrefoil and trefoils above under pointed arch enclosed by a dripstone with uncut capitals. W front has 2 cusped lancets with quatrefoils above either side of a stepped buttress. S porch with outer arch moulded and ending in tightly foliated capitals and inner of a single moulded arch with uncut capitals. Aisleless interior with open rafter roofs and a plainly moulded chancel arch on half shafts with tightly foliated capitals. 1867 stained glassE window by Wailes and further stained glass in chancel S window and nave S windows. Stone pulpit with coloured marble insets and octagonal font on oloured marble piers both contemporary with the church. St John's stands on an elevated site overlooking the village centre.

Listing NGR: SU2934691903

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
250552
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01494/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Gale. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].