ABINGDON BRIDGE BURFORD BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1048926
Date first listed:
19-Jan-1951
Statutory Address:
ABINGDON BRIDGE
Statutory Address:
BURFORD BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ABINGDON BRIDGE
BURFORD BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048926 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 10:07:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
ABINGDON BRIDGE
Statutory Address:
BURFORD BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Abingdon
National Grid Reference:
SU 49952 96870

Details

1. 752 THE BRIDGE

SU 5096 1/164 19.1.51 Abingdon or Burford SU 4996 1/164 Bridge

II GV

2. This is the North part of Maud Hales Bridge (listed in Bullingdon R.D.) C15. Rubble and ashlar. Altered 1790 and 1830, and the south part largely rebuilt 1928. A.M. (See "Oxoniensia" II (1937) pp134-140; Jervoise E, "Ancient Bridges of the south of England" (1930) pp6-7; VCH Berks IV, pp435-436).

Abingdon Bridge, The Nags tread P.H. and Salter's Cafe form a group.

Listing NGR: SU4995296870

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
250304
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 435-436
Jervoise, E, The Ancient Bridges of the South of England, (1930), 6-7
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, , Vol. 2, (1937), 134-140

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/00079/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr David J Mazey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].