CASWELL HOUSE, CASWELL FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1048993
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Oct-1988
Statutory Address:
CASWELL HOUSE, CASWELL FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING

Map

Ordnance survey map of CASWELL HOUSE, CASWELL FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1048993 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 15:20:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CASWELL HOUSE, CASWELL FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Curbridge
National Grid Reference:
SP 32058 08234

Details

CURBRIDGE CASWELL SP3208 15/67 Caswell House, Caswell 12/09/55 Farmhouse and attached outbuilding (Formerly listed as Caswell House and Barns)

GV II*

House, now two dwellings. c.1500, with C17 alterations, and early C19 range to centre. Early C19 range of squared and coursed limestone; hipped Welsh slate roof; brick end stacks. L-plan with late C15 wing extending to rear left. Early C19 block of 2 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. Flat stone arches over plank door with Gothic-style porch, tripartite sashes and first-floor 6-pane sashes. Gable ends of late C15 wings flank front: each of 2-window range with early C19 sashes, and with hood moulds over hollow-chamfered pointed- and round-arched late C15 lights. Short wing to right of 2 bays and of uncoursed limestone rubble with gabled stone slate roof. Long wing to left of similar materials with ashlar end stack: right side wall has 2- and 3-light leaded casements; early C19 6-panelled door with overlight, set in early C19 stone porch, enters C17 two-storey gabled porch which adjoins front range; and a C17/C18 outshut next to C19 plank door set in C17 chamfered segmental-arched stone surround. Left side wall of left wing: 2-storey projecting central bay with hipped roof has timber lintel over doorway with late C16/C17 moulded stone jambs to left, and late C15 two-light hollow-chamfered round-arched window to right; to right is late C15 offset buttress, and one 4-light and 4 two-light similar late C15 windows. Interior: roof of right wing not inspected. Left wing has chamfered ground-floor beams, and inserted moulded beam in first-floor room to front; early C17 panelling in closet over porch; late C15 three-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned window in right side wall; 7-bay roof has late C15 scissor truss of heavy scantling to front, and collar trusses to rear, all with butt purlins and arched windbraces. Subsidiary features: outbuilding to left of front has late C15 stone wall with blocked 4-centred doorway and quatrefoil light. Occupies a medieval moated site. The scissor truss is similar to that of c.1480 at The Old Rectory, Standlake (q.v.). In the early C17, Caswell Farm was the mansion of Sir Francis Wenman who was a friend of Lucius Lord Falkland of Great Tew. (J. Skelton, Antiquities of Oxfordshire, 1823, fol.12V; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.567).

Listing NGR: SP3205808234

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
252140
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 567
Skelton, J, Antiquities of Oxfordshire, (1823)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10068/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Malcolm Osman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].