FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED DAIRY AT EASNEYE DAIRY FARM 470 METRES NORTH EAST OF MANSION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1049049

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1983

Statutory Address: FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED DAIRY AT EASNEYE DAIRY FARM 470 METRES NORTH EAST OF MANSION, HOLLYCROSS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED DAIRY AT EASNEYE DAIRY FARM 470 METRES NORTH EAST OF MANSION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049049 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 18:21:40.

Location

Statutory Address: FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED DAIRY AT EASNEYE DAIRY FARM 470 METRES NORTH EAST OF MANSION, HOLLYCROSS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Stanstead Abbots

National Grid Reference: TL 38362 13813

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 31NW STANSTEAD ABBOTS HOLLYCROSS ROAD (east side) 5/18 Farmhouse and attached Dairy at Easneye Dairy Farm 470 metres NE of mansion

GV II Farmhouse and attached ornamental dairy. Circa. 1868 by Waterhouse for T F Buxton of Easneye. Red brick with diapering of black headers. Tilehung upper floor of farmhouse. Steep red tile roofs. T-plan 2-storeys farmhouse with single storey rear range linking to a tall single-storey octagonal buttressed ornamental dairy at NE. Entrance to both through a recessed logia on the N with blind pointed arcading on rear wall and 3-bay arched braced timber front under an extension of the tiled roof. Farmhouse jettied on N on moulded brick corbells with moulded bressumer and bargeboard to gable over. Small wooden casements under segmental arches. Cusped tilehanging in apex of gable. Clustered octagonal shafts to tall central chimney. The design is similar to Waterhouses's Double Lodge for Easneye of 1866 (q.v.). Dairy has 3-light chamfered brick traceried windows with leaded glazing in cathedral glass under a single equilatereral arch on 4 front faces. Diagonal buttresses with tumbled brick offsets, moulded plinth and string course and corbelled ornamental eaves courses, supporting a cast iron gutter trough. Finial and 4 small gabled vents. Interior of dairy vaulted with stone ribs rising from corbels and red and black brick panels below a moulded string at high sill level blue tiling with impressed Gothic geometric pattern down to white marble bench all round supported on chamfered timber brackets with cooling pipes under. Deep ornamental band at top of tiling of oxblood slips and white on blue flower scroll with frieze of lobed geometric pattern tiles in blue. Encaustic tile pattern floor, mainly red with black net and buff junctions. Border of diamond set black tiles on white ground with red and buff bands each side. An impressive picturesque group. The ornamental dairy is of exceptional interest.

Listing NGR: TL3836213813

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 355921

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing